We have added a feature which we have been eager to add for a while- the to-do feature.
I think for any event-scheduling system, the ability to add a to do is essential. Sometimes we have a job we want to do for a client but we cannot schedule it. It becomes a to do. When we are able to schedule that to do, we want to be able to put it on our calendar. Then it becomes an appointment (in RS we simply call these events- more on why that is in another post).
For now we have a simple to do list, a way to add new to dos, and a way to convert a to do into a time-based event (an appointment).
Here’s how it works now.
1. When we log in to Real Scheduler, we are always directed to the calendar screen where we can review, edit and add our appointments for that week. We have added to the list of options on that screen, New to Do and Manage to Dos, to the right of Manage Events and Calendar links.
2. To review the current To Dos, we click on the Manage To Dos link. This brings us to a screen very similar to the Manage Events screen, but with To Do rather than Event information listed.
3. As expected, we can sort and filter this list as we can any other list in Real Scheduler. We also have the familiar Edit button next to each row.
4. When we click on the edit button we get a detailed view of this To Do. Like a simplified version of the Event Detail screen. Here we can edit it. We can also convert it to an event.
5. Converting the To Do into an event is simple- we just click the “Convert to Event” button on the To Do detail screen. In this case we would get:
Viola! We have added an event and can move on, right? Hold on. We have to make sure the date and time are what we want. A To Do that has been converted to an event defaults the data and time to today’s date and the next half hour. Usually we can to change this- unless we have just completed a To Do and we are using this as a way of marking that job done.
So we would normally change the date and time here just as we would any event, then save or go back to the calendar.
6. Creating a new To Do.
A new To Do is just as easy to create as a new event from the calendar page- just click the New To Do link and you are in the familiar-looking Quick event style pop up. Just enter the client (there does not have to be one, this can be a To Do without a client and be converted into an Event without a client.
When you close that pop up the To Do it saved.
Our next improvement on this feature is to have a way- without annoying the user, to remind the user that they have some pending To Dos. This will have to mean we will add Due By fields to the To Dos, and perhaps have a message when the user logs in that they have upcoming or overdue To Dos.